Joseph H. Park
Joseph Park is a Partner in the firm’s Litigation Department. Mr. Park has broad based experience in representing domestic and international clients in federal and state courts and arbitrations in California and other states, with an emphasis on complex commercial disputes, including class actions. His industry experience includes retail, technology, banking/finance, manufacturing, utilities, pharmaceuticals, and insurance. Mr. Park also has experience representing investor owned utilities in California Public Utilities Commission proceedings.
Mr. Park began his career in 1994 with the Internal Revenue Service’s Office of District Counsel in Los Angeles, where he represented the IRS in Tax Court and, as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, in Bankruptcy Court.
Prior to joining LKP, Mr. Park was a litigation partner with Fulbright & Jaworski and also headed up the firm’s Korea Practice. As the primary contact and liaison for Korean clients and law firms, he selected and managed legal teams in multiple practice areas and jurisdictions to represent and advise Korean clients in transactions and disputes covering a wide variety of industries, including energy, mining, engineering, construction, IT, technology, medical devices, and consumer products.
- Beauty care products manufacturer in breach of contract action, including jury trial, resulting in full defense verdict with a finding of no contract and award of attorney’s fees.
- Nutritional supplement company in asserting contract and related claims against Asian joint venture partner in Canadian courts.
- Public technology company in a variety of contract-based disputes.
- Multinational commercial lender in asserting claims involving equipment lease financing.
- Singapore-based company in breach of contract action relating to trademarks.
- Korean cosmetics company facing federal and state antitrust claims.
- Guam real estate partnership in action for fraud and related claims.
- Homeopathic drug company in multiple state and federal class actions involving false advertising related claims.
- National retailers in consumer class actions for violation of California Song-Beverly Credit Card Act (collection of personal information).
- Major multinational commercial lender and investment bank in class action and Bankruptcy adversary proceeding – including a three month jury trial – arising out of the financing and securitization of subprime mortgages.
- National truck rental and self-storage company in various consumer class actions, including a class action trial.
- National retailer in class action involving disabled access claims.
- European bank in multi-state individual and class actions in federal and state courts arising out of the bank’s involvement in tax shelters.
- Airline and bank in class action for fraud and false advertising involving frequent flyer credit card program, resulting in dismissal.
- Water companies in California Public Utilities Commission ratemaking proceedings.
- Electric utility in California Public Utilities Commission ratemaking proceeding.
- Excess D&O insurer against coverage claims, resulting in dismissal.
- Provider stop loss excess insurer against coverage claims.
- Life insurer in class action involving gap premiums.
- Reinsurer against reinsurance claims arising under the U.S. Longshore & Harbor Workers Compensation Act.
- Public biopharmaceutical company and its officers in securities fraud class action resulting in summary judgment for all defendants.
- Public internet-based company in shareholder derivative action and related securities class and individual actions arising out of restatement of earnings.
- Employer against claims of gender and national origin harassment and discrimination.
- Variety of retailers and distributors of consumer products in California Proposition 65 actions.
- High net worth family in complex international conservatorship and related litigation in California, Guam, and Korea involving choice of law, jurisdiction, and related issues.
- Mr. Park is a member of the California State Bar and is admitted to practice in all California state and federal courts as well as the Ninth and Eleventh Federal Circuit Courts of Appeal and the U.S. Tax Court.
- Korean American Bar Association of Southern California
- International Association of Korean Lawyers
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
PUBLICATIONS, AWARDS, and SPEECHES
- Overview of U.S. Federal Litigation & E-Discovery – Seoul, Korea (April, 2007 and November, 2007)
- A Practitioner’s Guide to Class Actions, Ch. 1 (Precertification), ABA (July, 2010)
- Overview Of Anti-Corruption, Trade Sanctions, And International Arbitration Issues: Africa Energy & Natural Resources Investments Seminar – Korea Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Seoul, Korea (February, 2011)
- Wiley W. Manuel Certificate for Pro Bono Legal Services, Cal. State Bar (2011)
- Doing Business In The Middle East / Saudi Arabia – Korea Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Seoul, Korea (May, 2012)
- 1994 – J.D., UCLA School of Law
- 1991 – A.B., Economics, Stanford University
- Korean – Business Proficiency
Park, Joseph H.